Are you one of the many who are suffering with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome? You may not realize that a solution is nearer than you think!
The Reality of Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome typically starts off as pain or numbness and tingling in the hands or wrists. It receives the name from the carpal bones in the wrist that form a tunnel around the median nerve leading to the hand. The pain can often radiate from the hand up to the shoulder. Most often it is related to an injury caused by repetitive and forceful movements. These micro-traumas to hands and wrists on a daily basis due to awkward positioning, forceful and repetitive movements, and stressful activities result in the swelling around the tendons and pinching of the median nerve. This compression causes the painful tingling, lack of muscle strength, and control in the hand. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is a risk to most workers who may work on computers, on a cash register, or an assembly line.
The usual treatment for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome can extend to heavy medication and surgery; however there are alternative methods of treatment that can alleviate the symptoms and help repair the damaging effects. If Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is detected early, then surgery can be avoided with chiropractic treatment being the leading method of non-surgical treatment.
Chiropractic treatment may involve various methods, for instance a combination of rest, ice, ultrasound, and electrical stimulation. Treatment may also include:
- Chiropractic manipulation therapy of the elbow and upper spine, where the joint’s soft tissue undergoes manipulation
- Nutritional supplements in the diet such as B6, a vitamin that has a long-term benefit
- Electro-acupuncture treatment
- Bracing, a technique that has had extensive success, by limiting extension and flexion in the hand. The compression on the median nerve encourages recovery by easing the swelling in the tendons
- Exercises for the wrist and hand designed to encourage recovery
- Reassessing the ergonomics of the work place to minimize stress the best way as possible.
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome can become a serious health problem, and if left too long may require surgery. If it’s caught early, then chiropractic treatment is an effective, drug-free method to ease the symptoms and pains and provide long-term relief.
Everybody is different. If you have questions about whether chiropractic is an appropriate choice for your specific situation, please ask. We are here to help!
For Your Health,
Dr. Mark Wolff